Southport Railway Station serves the town of Southport, Merseyside. The Liverpool line was originally built in 1848 by the Liverpool, Crosby and Southport Railway, with the station opening in 1851. The line became part of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway in 1897, and the station is now operated by Merseyrail, with Manchester services operated by Northern.
Southport is a large and attractive seaside town. It lies on the Irish Sea coast and is fringed to the north by the Ribble Estuary. The town became extremely popular in the 19th century as a leisure destination, due to easy access from the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Attractions include Southport Pier with its Southport Pier Tramway, the second longest seaside pleasure pier in the British Isles, and Lord Street; an elegant shopping destination that was once the home of Napoleon III of France. The Ainsdale sand dunes to the south of the town have been designated as a national nature reserve.
SD 338170 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Staffed station (Booking office open Mon – Sat 05.28 – 00.37, Sun 07.43 – 00.37)
- Cycle storage
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Long Line Public Address
- Refreshments available
- Ticket Vending Machines
- Close to town centre and promenade