Due to the ongoing Great North Rail Project (Preston to Blackpool Upgrade) the lines from Preston to Blackpool North & Blackpool South will be closed between 11 November 2017 and 28 January 2018. A replacement bus service will be in operation and the timetable can be downloaded here: Preston-Blackpool-TT-13-mk2
Rufford station, a typical country halt, is situated on the edge of Rufford village surrounded with fertile fields. The village itself is very spread but the many white walled cottages are very attractive. A well known attraction close to the railway is Rufford Old Hall, the ancestral home of the Hesketh family. This 16th century Tudor building is one of the finest examples of this type of building in Lancashire and its hammer beamed roof of the Great Hall is outstanding.
St Mary’s Wharf sits close to the station adjacent to the Rufford Branch of the Leeds Liverpool canal and is well known locally for fine food. There are many attractive walks around the village and along the canal towpath.
SD 466155 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Regular service to Preston and Ormskirk
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Car park (20 spaces)
- Long Line Public Address
- Bus stops on Liverpool Road (Hesketh Arms) – click here for bus timetables
- Rail User Group – Ormskirk, Preston & Southport Travellers Association
- Friends of Station group – contact Brian Haworth on 01254 386579
- Rufford Old Hall (National Trust) is about 20 minutes walk away from the station – click here for more information
February ComREG Update
Wednesday 7th February meeting. Posted 19.02.18
Something For The Weekend XXIV
Things to do & places to visit. Posted 16.02.18
Northern Unveils First New Train
First Class 331 nearly ready for testing. Posted 07.02.18
tRAILblazers Photography Project Launched
Museum of Liverpool hosts launch. Posted 05.02.17
Job Opportunities With CRL
Closing date 16th Feb 2018. Posted 31.01.18