Due to the ongoing Great North Rail Project (Preston to Blackpool Upgrade) the lines from Preston to Blackpool North & Blackpool South will be closed between 11 November 2017 and 28 January 2018. A replacement bus service will be in operation and the timetable can be downloaded here: Preston-Blackpool-TT-13-mk2
Rufford station, a typical country halt, is situated on the edge of Rufford village surrounded with fertile fields. The village itself is very spread but the many white walled cottages are very attractive. A well known attraction close to the railway is Rufford Old Hall, the ancestral home of the Hesketh family. This 16th century Tudor building is one of the finest examples of this type of building in Lancashire and its hammer beamed roof of the Great Hall is outstanding.
St Mary’s Wharf sits close to the station adjacent to the Rufford Branch of the Leeds Liverpool canal and is well known locally for fine food. There are many attractive walks around the village and along the canal towpath.
SD 466155 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Regular service to Preston and Ormskirk
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Car park (20 spaces)
- Long Line Public Address
- Bus stops on Liverpool Road (Hesketh Arms) – click here for bus timetables
- Rail User Group – Ormskirk, Preston & Southport Travellers Association
- Friends of Station group – contact Brian Haworth on 01254 386579
- Rufford Old Hall (National Trust) is about 20 minutes walk away from the station – click here for more information
Something For The Weekend XXVII
Loads to do and see. Posted 16.03.18
Women Who Wander Launch
Manchester Victoria hosts launch event. posted 09.03.18
Reading Between The Lines 28
All the news from Community Rail Lancashire. Posted 09.03.18
Burscough Junction Clean Up
Hats off to the Community Payback Team. Posted 08.03.18
tRAILblazers Project Makes The Press
Wigan Post covers tRAILblazers project. Posted 28.02.18