Due to the ongoing Great North Rail Project (Preston to Blackpool Upgrade) the lines from Preston to Blackpool North & Blackpool South will be closed between 11 November 2017 and 28 January 2018. A replacement bus service will be in operation and the timetable can be downloaded here: Preston-Blackpool-TT-13-mk2
Rishton Station like many small stations is situated on the very edge of the township it serves and is three and three quarter miles from Blackburn. The old manor of Rishton was owned by the Petre estate and in 1835 was listed as being part of the township of Blackburn. By the 1870s industries such as coal mining, cotton, brick making and quarrying were established in the local area. Rishton was the first place where Calico was woven on an industrial scale.
The name Rishton means village amid rushes. The Leeds Liverpool canal opened in 1810 and passes through the centre of the town. The well known Riston Cricket club stands close to the station and The East Lancs Sailing Club has used Rishton Resorvoir since the start of the 20th century. The well established Golf Club is close to the station and there are good established walks into the surrounding countryside including the Leeds Liverpool canal towpath.
SD 723297 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Hourly service to Preston & Blackpool South and Colne
- Car park
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Long Line Public Address
- Community notice board
- Bus stops (services 6, 7 & 152) on Blackburn Road (5 -10 minutes walk from the station) – click here for bus timetables
- Friends of Stations group – Rishton Prospects (contact Brian Haworth on 01254 386579) or click here for more information
- Rishton Cricket Club is five minutes walk from the station – click here for more information
- Rishton Golf Club is a ten minute walk fro mth station – for more information click here
- The Leeds Liverpool canal runs through Rishton – click here for more information
The Very Last Train?
Last train before the 3 month blockade. Posted 13.11.17
Closure Of Blackpool Lines
Electrification works continue. Posted 09.11.17
North West In Bloom Awards 2017
CRL stations do well in awards. Posted 07.11.17
Rail Minister Launches Community Rail Strategy Consultation
Burnley Manchester Road hosts Ministerial launch. Posted 06.11.17
Something For The Weekend XIV
Plenty to see and do! Posted 03.11.17