The original Lytham station was opened on 16th February 1846 along with the branch line from Kirkham and was the terminus. The station was about 500 yards from the current station, which opened on 6th April 1863 also as a terminus. The station was rebuilt and opened as a through station on 1st July 1874. The station ceased to be manned after the cut-backs of the 1960s and the station building became derelict. In 1986 it was restored and transformed into a public house, the Station Tavern.
Lytham was founded in about 600 AD. For many centuries the economy of Lytham was dependent on fishing and shrimping, until the advent of tourism and seaside health cures. The town is now a fashionable seaside resort and offers a more genteel alternative to nearby brash Blackpool. Notable Lytham landmarks include the Green, a strip of grass running between the shore and the main road; the recently restored Windmill and Old Lifeboat House Museum are to be found here. The Green overlooks the estuary of the River Ribble and the Welsh mountains.
Until the middle of the 20th century the Clifton family was the leading family in Lytham and two of the town’s main thoroughfares are named in their honour. Their estate on the outskirts of Lytham and Ansdell originally occupied a huge area. Lytham Hall, the family seat, remained in the family’s ownership until 1979, after which ownership passed to a number of corporate bodies. The grounds of the Hall are occasionally opened to the public for open-air concerts and plays. Several of the ornate gates to the estate and much of the distinctive pebble-dashed boundary wall survive.
SD 365274 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Hourly service to Blackpool South and Preston & Colne
- Waiting shelter with seating
- Additional seating on platform
- Long Line Public Address
- Bus stops close to the station – click here for bus timetables
- Rail User Group – Blackpool and Fylde Rail Users Association
- Friends of Station Group – Lytham in Bloom (contact Simon Clarke on 01254 386579 for more information).
Something For The Weekend CXI
A veritable superfluity of things to see and do in the CRL area. Posted 21.02.2020
East Lancashire Line Nine Day Closure
Essential replacement & repairs to bridges. Posted 12.02.2020
Bolton & South Lancashire CRP Accredited
Another CRP gains accreditation. Posted 11.02.2020
DalesRail Walks Programme 2020
72 guided walks over 18 Sundays. Posted 05.02.2020
Mills To Tower Project Funding Success
Wakes Week art project at Rishton station. Posted 31.01.2020