Kirkham & Wesham
Kirkham & Wesham station serves the two towns but is closer to Wesham, properly called Medlar-with-Wesham. The station, opened in 1840, was originally located to the west of Station Road and named Kirkham Station. In 1890, it was rebuilt on the east side of the road and renamed Kirkham and Wesham. Historically the “Wrangway Brook”, beside which the railway was laid, has always been the boundary between Kirkham and Wesham.
There are two platforms, and fairly obvious signs of the former size of the station by way of disused sidings areas and blocked-off arches. The station ticket office is at street level with a wide staircase leading down to the platforms. Originally a cast iron and glass roof covered the platforms similar to Poulton-le-Fylde station. This was removed in the 1960s.
A large new workhouse, to replace the much older one in Kirkham, was erected in Wesham between 1903-7 designed on a pavilion plan by Charles S Haywood and Fred Harrison. Modern for its time, separate pavilions were provided for mothers and infants, and for infirm females, and also a two-roomed cottage for married couples. During the First World War the buildings were used as a Military Hospital and later became Wesham Park Hospital (specialist geriatric and psychiatric). The buildings which remain today are now the administrative home to North Lancashire NHS Trust, with the remainder being a much needed brown field site for housing development.
Kirkham & Wesham Station
SD 419326 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Staffed station (booking office open Mon – Sat 06.45 – 17.45, Sun 09.15 – 16.45)
- Hourly services to Blackpool South and Preston & Colne, Liverpool, Manchester Victoria and Blackpool North. A limited peak service operated by First Transpenine Exress also serves the station
- Waiting shelter on island platform with additional seating
- Long Line Public Address
- A regular bus service operates from the front of the station – click here for bus timetables
- Rail User Group – Blackpool and Fylde Rail Users Association
- Friends of Station Group – Kirkham (& Wesham) in Bloom (contact Simon Clarke on 01254 386579 for more detail).
Something For The Weekend XLIX
Loads to see and do in the CRL area. Posted 31.09.18
Dementia Friendly Keighley Day Out
Another facet of the dementia friendly railway. Posted 21.09.18
Northern Apprentices Project Presentations
Two great projects celebrated. Posted 18.09.18
Refurbished Kirkham & Wesham Station Opened
New lifts at station to be operative soon. Posted 17.09.18
A Grand Day Out
Take a car-free adventure by train! Posted 12.09.18