Kirkham & Wesham
Kirkham & Wesham station serves the two towns but is closer to Wesham, properly called Medlar-with-Wesham. The station, opened in 1840, was originally located to the west of Station Road and named Kirkham Station. In 1890, it was rebuilt on the east side of the road and renamed Kirkham and Wesham. Historically the “Wrangway Brook”, beside which the railway was laid, has always been the boundary between Kirkham and Wesham.
There are two platforms, and fairly obvious signs of the former size of the station by way of disused sidings areas and blocked-off arches. The station ticket office is at street level with a wide staircase leading down to the platforms. Originally a cast iron and glass roof covered the platforms similar to Poulton-le-Fylde station. This was removed in the 1960s.
A large new workhouse, to replace the much older one in Kirkham, was erected in Wesham between 1903-7 designed on a pavilion plan by Charles S Haywood and Fred Harrison. Modern for its time, separate pavilions were provided for mothers and infants, and for infirm females, and also a two-roomed cottage for married couples. During the First World War the buildings were used as a Military Hospital and later became Wesham Park Hospital (specialist geriatric and psychiatric). The buildings which remain today are now the administrative home to North Lancashire NHS Trust, with the remainder being a much needed brown field site for housing development.
Kirkham & Wesham Station
SD 419326 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Staffed station (booking office open Mon – Sat 06.45 – 17.45, Sun 09.15 – 16.45)
- Hourly services to Blackpool South and Preston & Colne, Liverpool, Manchester Victoria and Blackpool North. A limited peak service operated by First Transpenine Exress also serves the station
- Waiting shelter on island platform with additional seating
- Long Line Public Address
- A regular bus service operates from the front of the station – click here for bus timetables
- Rail User Group – Blackpool and Fylde Rail Users Association
- Friends of Station Group – Kirkham (& Wesham) in Bloom (contact Simon Clarke on 01254 386579 for more detail).
Something For The Weekend LXXVII
Loads to do over the bank holiday and half term. Posted 24.05.19
Books At Stations Grant Success
Reading can reduce stress. Posted 24.05.19
DalesRail Sunday 26 May 2019
Four guided walks led by the Lancashire Rail Ramblers. Posted 23.05.19
Railway Confidence & The National Autistic Society
Autistic Society working with CRL. Posted 14.05.19
CRL Welcomes New Team Member
CRL's Education Team strengthened. Posted 07.05.19