Huncoat station is situated close to the village centre. The village sits below the nearby Hameldon Hill. The doomsday book spells the village name as Hunnicot. The village was shown on Christopher Saxton’s 1577 map of Lancashire.
The Leeds and Liverpool canal reached Huncoat in 1801 and by 1830 the local brick making industry had been established. The original railway station at Huncoat was situated off Altham Lane close to what became the power station site. Huncoat coal pit was opened in 1885 when the first shaft was sunk to a depth of 850 feet. In 1902 the railway station was re located to its present site.
Between the two world wars the area alongside the railway developed rapidly, three collieries, two coke ovens and the world famous Accrington Nori Brick works all expanded and were served with a comprehensive network of railway lines. A viaduct of eight spans carried the branch from the station across Clough Brook into the industrial area. Production at Huncoat Colliery peaked in 1956 when 1,300 tons of coal was lifted in one day. In 1956 the massive power station was opened adjacent to the station and remained in use until 1984. The pit closed in 1968. The area covered by the old power station is now a green nature walk.
A history poster has been prepared for Huncoat station and this can be viewed by clicking on the thumbnail below or on this link: History Posters
SD 772307 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
+ Unstaffed station
+ Hourly service to Preston and Colne
+ Waiting shelters
+ Additional seating on platforms
+ Long Line Public Address
+ Community notice board
Parbold Station History In Words
Staff and passengers remember. Posted 19.11.2020
Best Practice Paper Published
Virtual Education Network. Published 16.11.2020
Another DalesRail Tale Added
Memories of 'Climb a Peak Slowly'. Posted 16.11.2020
Hidden Gems Two
Photographs of your favourite spot needed. Posted 10.11.2020
Parbold Station Virtual History Poster
Doodly uploaded to YouTube. Posted 09.11.2020