The station was opened as Heysham Harbour (hence its current station code) by the Midland Railway on 11 July 1904. It was relocated to an adjacent site on 4 May 1970, and served boat trains for Belfast until the closure of the ferry route in April 1975. The train service was withdrawn on 6 October, but reinstated and the station renamed Heysham Sea Terminal, on 11 May 1987 to provide a rail connection with the daily sailing to Douglas run by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company. The station acquired its present name on 28 September 1992.
As constructed, the station had three platforms, two signal boxes and an extensive goods depot and associated sidings to service the port complex (which dates from 1904). It handled a wide range of freight for export including livestock, parcels and latterly fuel oil from a distribution terminal operated by Shell. None of these types of traffic have been handled here since the early 1980s – all freight through the port, mainly containers, is worked by road.
Heysham Port Station
SD 402600 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
Served by one train a day to/from Leeds via Morecambe for the Isle of Man sailing
Shelter on platform
Rail User Group – Lancaster, Morecambe and District Rail User Group
For more information about the Isle-of-Man Steam Packet Company click here
Heysham Nuclear Power Station – Visitor Centre with interactive exhibitions and pre-arranged guided tours (free)
St. Patrick’s Chapel – a ruined building standing on a headland above St. Peter’s Church. It has been designated as a Grade 1 listed building and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
February ComREG Update
Wednesday 7th February meeting. Posted 19.02.18
Something For The Weekend XXIV
Things to do & places to visit. Posted 16.02.18
Northern Unveils First New Train
First Class 331 nearly ready for testing. Posted 07.02.18
tRAILblazers Photography Project Launched
Museum of Liverpool hosts launch. Posted 05.02.17
Job Opportunities With CRL
Closing date 16th Feb 2018. Posted 31.01.18