Hall I’ Th’ Wood
Hall I’ th’ Wood Station is situated in the Tonge district of Bolton. The station sits high on an embankment in a largely residential area. The village was first mentioned in the early 13th century. The area was once part of a large forest where the second part of the village name originated, however the coming of the Industrial Revolution soon vastly reduced this resource.
The cotton industry rapidly established itself in the area with numerous mills springing up. Samuel Crompton who lived at Hall I’ th’ Wood Hall invented the Spinning Mule here and this development had a major impact in the cotton industry. It was capable of spinning very fine thread and was instrumental in moving forward cotton spinning in the area and beyond. Crompton’s old home is now a museum highlighting the cotton industry in the area, and in particular the Spinning Mule.
Address Hall I’ Th’ Wood Station, Crompton Way, Hall I’ Th’ Wood, Bolton BL1 8UF
SD 727112 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Hourly service to Blackburn and Manchester Victoria
- Car park (approx 30 spaces including disabled)
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Bus stops on Crompton Way – click here for bus timetables (services 525, 539 & 527)
- Up to the minute train running can also be found by ringing 0161 228 0322 and entering code 2572 when prompted- for more information click here
- Hall I’ Th’ Wood is now a museum about the cotton industry and the Spinning Mule – get more information by clicking here
Something For The Weekend CVII
Plenty to see and do over the next few weeks. Posted 24.01.2020
Let’s Connect Accrington Railway Station
A short film about the project goes live. Posted 24.01.2020
CRL Gains Accreditation
Formal recognition by the Department for Transport. Posted 18.01.2020
Burnley Manchester Road Improved Access
Study to improve access at railway station. Posted 15.01.2020
Let’s Connect Brierfield Railway Station
Short film about the project goes live. Posted 18.12.19