Darwen, a small market town, is four miles south of Blackburn and boasts a central market area, redeveloped in 1973, which sits alongside the old Market Hall. Like many other Lancashire towns the traditional skills and industry of the people of Darwen in cotton manufacture has had to evolve and the town now includes paper making, engineering and paint manufacture as its major industries.
Darwen’s railway station opened in 1847 and stands perched on the hill overlooking the town. On the opposite side of the valley from the station sits the famous Darwen tower and there are well marked paths to this vantage point where panoramic views of the surrounding country side and moorland can be gleaned. The tower was completed in 1898 to jointly celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee and recently won free access to the moors. Another famous Darwen landmark is India Mill with its graceful Italianate chimney which was built by Eccles Shorrock in 1867.
Address Darwen Station, Atlas Road, Darwen, Blackburn, Lancashire BB3 0DE
SD 693225 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Ticket vending machines
- Hourly service to Blackburn and Manchester Victoria (additional services in peak)
- Car park (30 spaces including disabled – owned by Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council)
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Long Line Public Address (manual control from Blackburn station)
- CCTV (operated by Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council)
- Main bus station is a 5 minute walk from the station – click here for bus timetables
- Rail User Group – Ribble Valley Rail
- Friends of Stations group – RVR (contact Brian Haworth on 01254 386579)
- Darwen (Jubilee) Tower can be seen from the station – click here for more information and click here for a self-guide walk from the station to the tower
- Darwen Town Trail – a trail that takes in the history of Darwen
- Darwen Green Trail – a trail that takes you out into the countryside around Darwen.
February ComREG Update
Wednesday 7th February meeting. Posted 19.02.18
Something For The Weekend XXIV
Things to do & places to visit. Posted 16.02.18
Northern Unveils First New Train
First Class 331 nearly ready for testing. Posted 07.02.18
tRAILblazers Photography Project Launched
Museum of Liverpool hosts launch. Posted 05.02.17
Job Opportunities With CRL
Closing date 16th Feb 2018. Posted 31.01.18