Burscough Junction station is situated on the edge of the town which is also served by Burscough Bridge Station. Built in 1849 for the Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway Company the line opened to passengers on the 2nd April 1849.
Burscough town sits midway between Liverpool and Preston surrounded by good agricultural land. The draining of Martin Mere many years ago created acres of good farming land which in turn provided work for the local population and was influential in the growth of the town. The arrival of the Leeds Liverpool canal in the late 18th century saw the town again develop rapidly and the canal carried all manner of goods including imported grain to the expanding Ainscough’s flour mill situated close to the station. The coming of the railway in 1849 only added to the town’s growth as industry was drawn to the area around the station where two main railway lines converged.
By 1914 over 100 trains per day called at Burscough Junction station. During World War 2 a large ordnance depot was built adjacent to the station. The town centre is about fifteen minutes walk from the station and has a good selection of shops.
Burscough Junction Station
SD 444115 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Regular service to Preston and Ormskirk
- Single platform
- Waiting shelter
- Additional seating on Platform
- Car park (8 spaces)
- Long Line Public Address
- CRP branded notice boards
- Bus stops in village centre (15 mins walk) – click here for bus timetables
- Burscough Bridge Interchange station is 1 mile from this station (15 minutes walk)
- Rail User Group – Ormskirk, Preston & Southport Travellers Association
- Friends of Station group – contact Brian Haworth on 01254 386579
- Martin Mere Wetland Centre is approximately 2 miles from the station – click here for more information
Dementia Awareness For Carlisle Support Services
Dementia & community rail update. Posted 15.01.19
More Shelter At Burscough Bridge
Three new waiting shelters installed. Posted 11.01.19
Something For The Weekend LIX?
Plenty to see and do in the CRL area. Posted 10.01.19
East Lancashire Towns Great For Commuting
Zoopla's Affordability Index says so! Posted 09.01.19
RMT Strike Action Saturday 12 January 2019
Northern hope to run 30% of services. Posted 09.01.19