Burscough Junction station is situated on the edge of the town which is also served by Burscough Bridge Station. Built in 1849 for the Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway Company the line opened to passengers on the 2nd April 1849.
Burscough town sits midway between Liverpool and Preston surrounded by good agricultural land. The draining of Martin Mere many years ago created acres of good farming land which in turn provided work for the local population and was influential in the growth of the town. The arrival of the Leeds Liverpool canal in the late 18th century saw the town again develop rapidly and the canal carried all manner of goods including imported grain to the expanding Ainscough’s flour mill situated close to the station. The coming of the railway in 1849 only added to the town’s growth as industry was drawn to the area around the station where two main railway lines converged.
By 1914 over 100 trains per day called at Burscough Junction station. During World War 2 a large ordnance depot was built adjacent to the station. The town centre is about fifteen minutes walk from the station and has a good selection of shops.
Burscough Junction Station
SD 444115 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Regular service to Preston and Ormskirk
- Single platform
- Waiting shelter
- Additional seating on Platform
- Car park (8 spaces)
- Long Line Public Address
- CRP branded notice boards
- Bus stops in village centre (15 mins walk) – click here for bus timetables
- Burscough Bridge Interchange station is 1 mile from this station (15 minutes walk)
- Rail User Group – Ormskirk, Preston & Southport Travellers Association
- Friends of Station group – contact Brian Haworth on 01254 386579
- Martin Mere Wetland Centre is approximately 2 miles from the station – click here for more information
North West In Bloom Awards 2019
Many local successes! Posted 10.12.19
Broadfield Specialist School Oswaldtwistle
Small groups of students working at Accrington station. Posted 06.12.19
Something For The Weekend CI
Plenty to see and do across the CRL area. Posted 06.12.19
Bolton & South Lancashire CRP Launched
Britain's newest CRP officially launched. Posted 02.12.19
Northern’s Year In Industry Students Join the Bentham Line
Students learn about the Dementia Line Project. Posted 26.11.19