Burnley Manchester Road
Burnley Manchester Road railway station sits on high ground looking over the town centre. The line was built by the Manchester and Leeds Railway Company and opened on 12th November 1849. The first station was called Thorney Bank but this was replaced by Burnley Manchester Road station in 1866.The station was closed by British Railways on 6th November 1961 but was rebuilt and reopened during 1986, two years after the successful reintroduction of services between Leeds and Blackpool.
A new station has been built at Manchester Road part funded by the Interreg IVB project, along with Burnley Borough Council and Lancashire County Council. The building includes a booking office and this opened on 17th November 2014.
Eden Business Analysis, a research company based in York, carried out a project to see how effective the new station is in comparison to the old station. Read the full report by clicking here.
Burnley Manchester Road Station
SD 836321 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Staffed station (Mon – Sat 06:40 – 21:50, Sun 09:00 – 17:00)
- Hourly service to Leeds and York & Preston and Blackpool North
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Free car park (40 spaces including disabled and mother & child)
- Long Line Public Address
- Customer Information Screens
- CRP branded notice boards
7 Line Challenge Success
CRL's 7 lines travelled in one day! Posted 22.09.17
Something For The Weekend X
Things to do and see in CRL Land. posted 22.09.17
Blackburn Is Hiring
Careers event in Blackburn Cathedral. Posted 15.09.17
CRL Hosts Year In Industry Students
An introduction to community rail. Posted 14.09.17
Recent CRP Meetings
Management Groups meet. Posted 11.09.17