Burnley Central Station, originally called Burnley Bank Top, sits on high ground close to the town centre. The town dates back to Anglo Saxon times when the town was established on the banks of the River Brun. The river gave the town its name derived from Brun Lea ‘the field near the Brun’. The town was granted its market charter in 1400 and at this time had a population of around 600.
With the coming of the Industrial Revolution the population exploded with townsfolk finding employment in cotton mills, coal mines and foundries. By 1886 Burnley was the cotton weaving capital of the world producing more cotton cloth per year than any other town in the world. The Leeds Liverpool canal runs through the town on an impressive mile long embankment, well worth a visit.
The railway station was opened by the East Lancashire Railway Company in 1848. A short branch line ran from the station to Bank Hall colliery and the branch has now been revitalised as a cycleway and pleasant walk.
Burnley Central Station
SD 839330 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Staffed station (booking office open Mon to Fri 06.30 – 13:30)
- Hourly service to Colne & Preston and Blackpool South
- Waiting Room (open during booking office hours)
- Free car park (20 spaces)
- Long Line Public Address
- Bus station is a 15 minute walk from the railway station – click here for bus timetables
- Burnley’s new college is a 5 minute walk – click here for more information
New Entrance For Preston Station
Butler Street entrance gets a makeover. Posted 09.06.17
Young Arts Arriva
Burnley Central to be 'Revitalised'. Posted 06.06.17
DfT Visit To Lancashire
Visit to learn about the work of CRL. Posted 10.05.17
DCRDF Successes For CRL
Two grants approved by ACoRP & the DfT. Posted 09.05.17
Down The Line Launched
New educational website unveiled. Posted 10.04.17