Bromley Cross station is situated three miles from Bolton on the line to Blackburn and Clitheroe. Some of the original station buildings survive and the station clock is worthy of note, as is the signal box. The station has a large free car park and there is an overspill car park close by at the Media Arts College.
The name Bromley Cross derives from an old monument in the form of a cross known as Kershaw’s Cross which was situated on the edge of the West Pennine Moors. The name Bromley comes from a local family who were major landowners many years ago. There are still prehistoric remains on the hills around Bromley Cross, and a stone circle on nearby Turton Moor. There are good established walks into the West Pennine Moors from this area.
Address Bromley Cross Station, Chapletown Road, Bromley Cross, Bolton BL7 9PZ
SD 729131 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Staffed station (Opening hours Mon to Sat 06.50 – 13.40)
- Hourly service to Blackburn, Clitheroe and Manchester Victoria (additional in peak)
- Car park (40 spaces including disabled on overflow at Media college)
- Waiting room on Bolton bound platform (open during booking office hours)
- Waiting shelter on Blackburn bound platform
- Additional seating on platforms
- Secure cycle storage on car park (keys from booking office)
- BT payphone (cash & phone card)
- Customer Information Screens on platforms
- Ticket vending machine
- CRP branded notice boards
- Up to the minute train running can also be found by ringing 0161 228 0322 and entering code 2697 when prompted- for more information click here
- Rail User Group – Ribble Valley Rail
- Friends of Stations group – RVR (contact Brian Haworth on 01254 386579)
- A number of buses pass the station (237, 320, 321, 537 & 563) – click here for the timetables
Dementia Awareness For Carlisle Support Services
Dementia & community rail update. Posted 15.01.19
Something For The Weekend LIX?
Plenty to see and do in the CRL area. Posted 10.01.19
East Lancashire Towns Great For Commuting
Zoopla's Affordability Index says so! Posted 09.01.19
RMT Strike Action Saturday 12 January 2019
Northern hope to run 30% of services. Posted 09.01.19
A Warm Welcome To Bamber Bridge
The four seasons on display. Posted 04.01.19