Bolton Interchange is a transport interchange combining Bolton railway station and a four stand bus station in the town of Bolton. The station is located on the Manchester spur of the West Coast Main Line and is managed by Northern. The station is 11 1⁄4 miles (18.1 km) north west of Manchester Picacdilly.
The railway station was originally named Bolton Trinity Street to differentiate it from nearby Bolton Great Moor Street which closed in 1954. The station was also known as “Bridgeman Street Station” and “Bradford Square Station”.
The entrance and ticket office are at street level, at which there is a bus interchange and taxi rank. A walkway leads to the platforms which are in a cutting. The main island platform has a buffet. The original main station building was demolished in the 1980s, but the Victorian buildings survive on the platforms. The clock tower was dismantled and rebuilt next to the new station.
The station is on the Ribble Valley Line, a local line running north to Blackburn and Clitheroe. There are services used by commuters from Wigan Wallgate and on the Manchester to Preston Line. Recent timetables provide a convenient connection (although a platform change must be made which is not possible for wheelchair users) at Hindley (Wigan, Kirkby and Southport bound trains from Bolton) for certain stations on the Atherton line (Daisy Hill, Hag Fold, Atherton and Walkden).
Address Bolton Station, Trinity Street, Bolton BL2 1BE
SD 719087 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Staffed station 24 hours (Booking Office opening hours Mon to Sat 06.00 – 21.00, Sun 08.15 – 19.30)
- Hourly service to Blackburn, Clitheroe and Manchester Victoria (additional in peak)
- Car park – not currently but station under development
- Waiting rooms on all platforms
- Full canopy giving shelter on all platforms
- Additional seating on platforms
- Secure cycle storage on car park (keys from booking office)
- BT payphone (cash & phone card)
- Customer Information Screens on platforms
- CRP branded notice boards
To see National Rail’s new station facilities page for this station click here.
- Up to the minute train running can also be found by ringing 0161 228 0322 and entering code 2697 when prompted- for more information click here
- Rail User Group – Ribble Valley Rail
- Friends of Stations group – RVR (contact Brian Haworth on 01772 533196)
- Interchange facility with bus station outside of main entrance
Something For The Weekend LXXII
Loads to do over the Easter weekend and beyond. Posted 18.04.19
Make A Beeline For The Station!
Using ecology to help promote tourism. Posted 17.04.19
Bamber Bridge Bug Bed & Breakfast
Great community involvement. Posted 15.04.19
Women Who Wander 2019
New YouTube video released. Posted 08.04.19
Ride To Work Week
Keep fit and get on your bike! Posted 26.03.19