Appley Bridge Station is a small station located within the Borough of Wigan. Once a busy thriving industrial village local employment included quarries, clay pits, paint and linoleum manufacture. The village contains several convenience shops, two churches, several pubs and a post office. It is said that the name Appley Bridge came from a large apple tree which was situated next to the bridge which was used to gain access to the village from the South over the River Douglas.
The railway station opened in 1855 by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and did have a thriving goods yard in particular stone from local quarries. The village’s moment in the spotlight came on 15th October 1914 when a meteorite fell out of the sky landing in a farmer’s field adjacent to the village. Plugged 18 inches into the ground the meteorite weighed almost 33lbs and was displayed in a local shop window.
Appley Bridge Station
Appley Road North
SD 524093 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Two trains per hour to Southport, Bolton & Manchester
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Car park (20 spaces)
- Secure cycle storage
- Buses are available in the village – click here for bus timetables
- Rail User Group – Ormskirk, Preston & Southport Travellers Association
- Friends of Station group – contact Brian Haworth on 01772 533196
Railway Confidence Programme Gets Government Recognition
Award winners recognised. Posted 15.10.18
Volunteers Thanked Via Video
Youtube video thanks the volunteers! Posted 12.10.18
RMT Strike 13 October 2018
Northern to run 30% of trains. Posted 11.10.18
Community Rail Awards Success
Two firsts for CRL. Posted 05.10.18
Reading Between The Lines Issue 29
Plenty to read about in the CRL area. Posted 02.10.18