Ansdell & Fairhaven
Ansdell & Fairhaven is a joint station serving two small towns on the Fylde coast. The station first opened in 1872 as Ansdell but has been called Ansdell’s Gate, Ansdell’s Halt and finally in January 1906 it was renamed Ansdell & Fairhaven.
Ansdell has the distinction of being the only place in England to be named after an artist. Richard Ansdell RA, a renowned artist, who painted a large number of oils depicting hunting scenes.
Fairhaven is named after Thomas Fair, an early resident of Lytham St Annes. Its main claim to fame is an artificial lake, known as Fairhaven Lake or more formally as the Ashton Marine Park. Its other famous landmark is the Fairhaven United Reformed Church, which is of unusual design, being built in Byzantine style and faced with glazed white tiles, and commonly known as the White Church.
The station is only lightly used for the majority of the time but sees a phenomenal increase in patronage when the famous Royal Lytham & St. Annes Golf Club hosts the British Open Golf Championship once every ten years.
Ansdell & Fairhaven Station
SD 345277 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Hourly service to Blackpool South and Preston & Colne
- Waiting shelter with seating
- Long Line Public Address
- Bus stops close to the Library and on the A584 main Blackpool Road – click here for bus timetables
- Friends of Station group – contact Brian Haworth (01254 386579) for more details
- The White Church is about 10 minutes walk from the station – click here for more information
- Details of The Royal Lytham & St. Annes Golf Club can be found by clicking here
- Fairhaven Lake, home to a large number of wildfowl is 10 minutes from the station – click here for more information.
Something For The Weekend XLIX
Loads to see and do in the CRL area. Posted 31.09.18
Dementia Friendly Keighley Day Out
Another facet of the dementia friendly railway. Posted 21.09.18
Northern Apprentices Project Presentations
Two great projects celebrated. Posted 18.09.18
Refurbished Kirkham & Wesham Station Opened
New lifts at station to be operative soon. Posted 17.09.18
A Grand Day Out
Take a car-free adventure by train! Posted 12.09.18