Ansdell & Fairhaven
Ansdell & Fairhaven is a joint station serving two small towns on the Fylde coast. The station first opened in 1872 as Ansdell but has been called Ansdell’s Gate, Ansdell’s Halt and finally in January 1906 it was renamed Ansdell & Fairhaven.
Ansdell has the distinction of being the only place in England to be named after an artist. Richard Ansdell RA, a renowned artist, who painted a large number of oils depicting hunting scenes.
Fairhaven is named after Thomas Fair, an early resident of Lytham St Annes. Its main claim to fame is an artificial lake, known as Fairhaven Lake or more formally as the Ashton Marine Park. Its other famous landmark is the Fairhaven United Reformed Church, which is of unusual design, being built in Byzantine style and faced with glazed white tiles, and commonly known as the White Church.
The station is only lightly used for the majority of the time but sees a phenomenal increase in patronage when the famous Royal Lytham & St. Annes Golf Club hosts the British Open Golf Championship once every ten years.
Ansdell & Fairhaven Station
SD 345277 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
- Unstaffed station
- Hourly service to Blackpool South and Preston & Colne
- Waiting shelter with seating
- Long Line Public Address
- Bus stops close to the Library and on the A584 main Blackpool Road – click here for bus timetables
- Friends of Station group – contact Brian Haworth (01254 386579) for more details
- The White Church is about 10 minutes walk from the station – click here for more information
- Details of The Royal Lytham & St. Annes Golf Club can be found by clicking here
- Fairhaven Lake, home to a large number of wildfowl is 10 minutes from the station – click here for more information.
Something For The Weekend CXI
A veritable superfluity of things to see and do in the CRL area. Posted 21.02.2020
East Lancashire Line Nine Day Closure
Essential replacement & repairs to bridges. Posted 12.02.2020
Bolton & South Lancashire CRP Accredited
Another CRP gains accreditation. Posted 11.02.2020
DalesRail Walks Programme 2020
72 guided walks over 18 Sundays. Posted 05.02.2020
Mills To Tower Project Funding Success
Wakes Week art project at Rishton station. Posted 31.01.2020